Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Gallbladder, you're fired!!!

A couple weeks ago, Jake and I got to house sit for a family that goes to our ward (church). It was awesome! Huge house, home theater, hot tub that also converts into a current pool, 3 horses, chickens-we would have to get the eggs daily, a dog and a cat. Mudge, their dog was is a large shaggy dog that likes to be in your business all the time. The cat (name unknown so we just called him kitty) loved curling up in the sink and always wanted the water running so he could play with it. He was always super interested in me watering the plants. His bed was an empty computer tower with some blankets in it. We had to make sure he didnt get out of the house so he wouldnt get eaten by foxes. He did manage to get out once when Jake wasnt paying attention. We named two of the three horses because we couldnt remember their names. Red was the red horse we named. He was kinda ornrey and didnt like the brush so I didnt have a chance to brush him. He nipped at Jakes arm once so I figured it was best for me to stay on the other side of the fence. Big Eyes the other one we named kept Cookie subdued. It made me sad that Cookie was being bullied. He seemed like such a nice horse. They sure loved their oats at night. It was nice being closer to work. Didnt have to wake up at 3:30am. I got to get up at 3:45...woohoo!

The first week wasnt so nice with my gallbladder. We started on Sunday night and I had to call into work sick Monday morning because I was in pain. Tuesday I went to work at the pharmacy and felt fine. Tuesday night was the worst pain of my life. I was moaning in pain. I went to work the next day but could only work 4 hours. I was doubled over in pain walking out to my car to go home. I decided to go to the dr the next day and called in sick. I was told to get an ultrasound and some blood work done. The dr called me back later that day and told me I had a gall stone and possibly an infection. He referred me to a surgeon and told me to get it removed sooner then later and if the pain got worse to go to the emergency room. I went to the emergency room friday morning at 3am. I was miserable but not in as much pain as Tuesday night. They gave me Dilaudid-which gave me a rush that freaked me out. It's a pain med. It took the edge off but I still wasnt that comfortable. They also started me on an antibiotic and gave me some potassium. Im not surprised that my potassium was low...I couldnt eat anything for a few months and I lost 16 lbs. I had to go to the bathroom a lot due to the IV lol. I hated running to the bathroom with a hospital gown on all the time. The Dr came in with an ultrasound machine and showed me the large stone in my gallbladder and called the surgeon. I was scheduled for surgury and was up in preop 45 mins later. The dilauded gave me a very bad stomach cramp so I was glad to be out of the ER. I was given Fentanyl instead and it made me sleepy. The anasthesiologist and surgeon came up and talked to me about what to expect. I wasnt nervous at all, I just wanted that thing out! I was walked to the bathroom before being wheeled into the OR. Once I was on the OR table I heard the anasthesiologist behind me and told me I would get sleepy and fall asleep. I asked her if I could count backwards. She said I could but the thing was was I never started counting. I couldnt think of where to start counting down from and then I was asleep! :)
It was uncomfortable waking up, my chest hurt but my abdomen didnt. All I used was a ice pack. As soon as I was pretty awake I pressed on the spot that my gallbladder was and felt no pain. My gallbladder had been fired at last! Buh bye! My chest discomfort was from the gas they pumped into my stomach cavity during the surgery. Some of the CO2 got stuck under my diaphragm and irriated some nerves that make my shoulders feel pain. Some of the gas got under my skin on my chest and neck. Jake and my mom thought it was nasty to feel it crackle under the pressure of their fingers on my skin. The dr said that it would be absorbed over time like the bubble under my diaphragm. They took a chest xray to make sure I didnt have pneumothorax (air in the sack that surrounds the lungs). Im glad I didnt-I didnt want to have a tube shoved in my back. I felt pretty good besides the shoulder pain. They admitted me over night because the gas in my skin got all the way up to my jaw-which doesnt typically happen.
Once in my room I felt bad for calling the nurse aid to help me to the bathroom every hour... I hated having to pee so often. Every time I got up the bubble would make my shoulder hurt really bad. I was happy as soon as I layed back down it would feel better. I was given a medicine that made me tingle in my hands and feet. I didnt realize it was the medicine doing it until the second dose 6 hours later. I was REALLY tingley after that lol. I was glad it wasnt a bad feeling, I'd rather be tingley then in pain. I had to walk a lap around the unit by myself-the nurse said I was doing very well and didnt need any assistance. Kinda funny how I had to try really hard to remember my room number. I didnt want to go into the wrong room. I wanted to have my IV shut off because I had to pee so much. The night nurse said "I have to check your output and we'll see if it can be turned off...wow you sure have a lot of output I think that we can shut it off tonight". I had to shut my door because the supply room was across the hall from me and the door kept slamming shut. The patient next to me had a lot going on in their room too. Kept banging on the wall and moving chairs around. I was pretty annoyed by 11pm but after the door was closed I slept pretty soundly between them taking my vitals at 12 and 4am. The nurse came in and checked on me in the night but I was out and didnt wake up to her coming in. I was amazed at how warm the blankets were. They dont seem very thick. The bed was fun, I liked being in control of what position I was in. I got to eat breakfast the next morning but I didnt eat much. I didnt eat much before that anyways.
I was released that morning and got to go back to the "vacation home". I was sore the rest of the stay there but each day I felt better and better and was back at work 4 days later. I am soooo glad it's gone. I have eaten everything since then. Probably gained the 16 lbs back already but Im ok with that. All I'm left with are 5 small scars on my stomach. I can eat anything. I have had no problems with digesting fatty or spicy foods. I'm soooo happy about that-some people cant with their gallbladder removed. I'm so glad I wont have to call in sick to work because of the gallbladder anymore. At least it's taken care of now. Finally!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're feeling better! That doesn't sound like it was any fun at all. I wish my recovery would be that fast, but I think it's going to take me a bit longer to get running around again.

    ReplyDelete