So I totally forgot about blogging all about how school was going and how my job search was going LOL. I wish I could go back and document everything that was going on in my life but I was so busy and tired from everything going on.
I did my internships at Parker Adventist Hospital and Quest Diagnostics. It was 3 weeks long and was very fun. All of my trainers were awesome and easy to work with, (except one who took a little while to warm up to the idea of students being around). I think once she saw how helpful someone can be when she'd normally be alone she was ok with the extra person. I did really well at Parker Hospital and my trainer immediately gave a good word to the supervisor. As there was a position available she told me to apply if I was interested in the position, so I did.
Next, I did 2 weeks at Quest Diagnostics Parker PSC (in the same building as Parker Hospital). Very different then inpatient services. It seems like everyone comes in at the same time. I heard that one lady was working by herself on a weekend and there were so many people waiting for labs that they got angry and even threw things at her :( people can be horrible! It was fun working with people who were mostly healthy and awake. One thing I didnt like was when toddlers came in. After you poked them they would wiggle, kick and scream. That is to be expected but not what I dont like. I dont like how they look at you like you're evil. They calm down with mom's cooing but once they look at you and your white lab coat they'd give you the "you were trying to kill me" look and start screaming again. I didnt do the poking though...I'd do the restraining. Those kids are so strong! Even an 18 month old can muster a strength I wouldnt think they'd have! My trainer called me a true vampire!
I interviewed with Parker Hospital and was offered a PRN (as needed) position and I have to work every other weekend. So far I've survived. I dont like being in a hurry. I love to chat with the patients and get the blood but there is a lot more to the job then getting the blood-you work in the lab too. You do send outs, which is when we dont have the equipment to do a test so we have to send it to a lab that does have the equipment. You answer phones, receive specimens the ER sends down and you do your draws. You have to respond to trauma alerts and code blues and go to the Emergency Room STAT. I drew my first code blue on Thanksgiving. Code blue is where someone has no pulse. Its a very emotional feeling and it's hard to keep it together when someone's life might be ending right in front of you. My mom said that night that doctors dont get much credit for what they do. I agree. They save lives every day.
I'm getting a lot of great feedback from the Lab Techs, from other phlebotomists and from my supervisor. Lets try to keep it that way! The only downside to working on the weekends is that you pretty much are by yourself. When you're new you have a lot of questions and takes a while to figure out what you're doing and how to do stuff... I hope I become faster on the floors drawing blood and more efficient at the work I do in the Lab.
School is done and I have my foot in the door. Boy am I greatful for the Lord sending me these opportunities.
Jake and I were recently called into the Wolves in Cub Scouts! :D Week before last we made tool boxs from home depot. It was great to hear that they hit up their dads for tools to put in them when they got home :)
No comments:
Post a Comment